When cells in your breast grow and divide in an uncontrolled way, it creates a mass of tissue called a tumour, which results in Breast Cancer. It originates in your breast tissue, and like other cancers, breast cancer invades and grows into the tissue surrounding the breast. This cancer can also travel to other parts of your body and develop new tumours. And when this takes place, it is called metastasis. If you think you may have been affected by the condition and are willing to seek breast cancer treatment in India, there are certain things you should know about the same. Here’s all you need to know about Breast Cancer-
Who Is Affected By Breast Cancer?
After skin cancer, breast cancer is the most common cancer among women and most likely affects women over the age of 50. In addition to this, men can also develop breast cancer. And, transgender women are more likely to have breast cancer as compared to cisgender men.
Types of Breast Cancer
There are various types of breast cancer. These include the following-
Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma- Starting from the milk duct of the breast, this type of cancer breaks through the duct wall and spreads to the surrounding breast tissue. It is the most common type of cancer and makes up about 80% of all cases.
Ductal Carcinoma In Situ- Also referred to as stage 0 breast cancer, ductal carcinoma in situ is considered precancerous as the cells don’t spread beyond the milk ducts. Although this condition is treatable, prompt care is also necessary to prevent this cancer from becoming invasive and spreading to other issues.
Lobular Carcinoma In Situ– A precancerous situation, this cancer is a condition in which a presence of abnormal cells in the lobules of your chest is found. Although it is not true cancer; however, the marker can indicate the potential of breast cancer later on in life. Therefore, those with lobular carcinoma in situ should have regular clinical breast exams and mammograms.
Triple-Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC)– Making up about 15% of all cases, this type of breast cancer is one of the most challenging ones to treat. It is called triple-negative cancer because it does not contain the three markers associated with other types of breast cancer. The absence of the markers makes prognosis and breast cancer surgery in India difficult.
Inflammatory Breast Cancer– This type of cancer is rare, aggressive and resembles an infection. Individuals with inflammatory breast cancer usually experience redness, swelling, pitting and dimpling of breast skin.
Paget’s Disease of the Breast- This type of breast cancer affects the skin of the nipple and areola i.e. the skin around your nipple.
Early Signs of Breast Cancer
Signs of breast cancer vary for each individual. Below listed are some possible signs of breast cancer-
- Change in shape, size, or contour of either of the breast
- A mass or lump (also feels as small as a pea)
- Lumps or thickening in or around the breast or the underarm which persists through the menstrual cycle
- Change in the look or feel of skin on your breast
- Redness of the breast or nipple skin
- Presence of an area that feels distinctly different from any other area on either breast
- The hardened area under your breast skin
- A flood discharge or a blood-stained nipple
At times, people don’t notice any symptoms which makes it important to get routine mammograms done to start breast cancer treatment in India at the earliest.
Suggested Read: How Is India One Of The Best Countries For Cancer Treatment?
Causes of Breast Cancer
According to research, there are several risk factors that may increase the chance of developing breast cancer. These include-
- Age- Individuals the age 55 or older are at a greater risk of breast cancer
- Sex- Women have a higher chance to develop breast cancer than men
- Family history and genetics- If you have parents, siblings or close relatives who have been diagnosed with breast cancer, you may develop cancer at some point in your life.
- Smoking & alcohol- research indicates that smoking and the use of alcohol can increase the risk of breast cancer.
- Obesity- Obesity has been linked to breast cancer and its recurrence.
- Radiation exposure– If you have had radiation therapy before, you are more likely to develop breast cancer.
- Hormone replacement therapy- People using hormone replacement therapy are at a higher risk of developing breast cancer.
Breast cancer is a serious medical condition and should be dealt with as soon as you start noticing symptoms. And, if you are looking for any kind of medical services related to breast cancer surgery in India or any other medical conditions, then Med Tour Advisors can help. Connect with us to get a world-class treatment and leisure time tour through unsurpassed healthcare solutions today.