People who have a severe kidney failure case, also referred to as kidney ( or renal failure), stage 5 chronic kidney disease, and end-stage kidney disease, are advised by healthcare practitioners to select one of the two treatment options available. These two treatment options, namely dialysis, and kidney transplantation are performed to help the patients feel better and live longer.
It does take time for a person to get used to the fact that they need this treatment. However, the earlier they understand, the better choice they will make. Each type of treatment for kidney failure has its pros and cons. As the treatment will have a big effect on your daily life, you need to understand the difference and select the one which is best for you. This blog will discuss both treatments in detail, including their advantages, disadvantages, and care to help you ease your decision.
People with chronic kidney disease consider getting kidney transplantation as the quality of life and survival i.e. the life expectancy offered by this treatment is often better than dialysis. One can get a kidney transplant from either a relative, an unrelated person, or someone who has just died, and only one kidney is required to survive. However, in general, organs provided by living donors function better and for more years than those of the deceased. Furthermore, aged people or those with severe heart or vascular disease do not serve as ideal candidates for kidney transplantation. In these cases, it is better to opt for dialysis. Some other conditions that prevent one from considering the best kidney transplantation in India include-
- Active or recently treated cancer
- Any chronic illness that may lead to death
- Poorly controlled mental illness
- Severe obesity
- History of poor compliance or inability to take medication
- Limited or no health insurance
Advantages– People with end-stage kidney disease can improve the quality of their life with kidney transplantation. Plus, people who undergo this treatment do not require spending hours of dialysis treatment.
Disadvantages– A kidney transplant treatment is a major surgical procedure that involves risks both during and after the treatment. Moreover, you will be required to take medications and frequent monitoring for an entire lifetime to avoid chances of organ rejection.
This treatment option is considered when the patient still feels well and has only mild symptoms of kidney failure. These symptoms may include nausea, loss of energy, loss of appetite, difficulty in concentrating, and more. However, this treatment can only be done after taking some factors into consideration including your kidney function, overall health, and personal preferences. Most people who have symptoms of kidney failure generally plan to start dialysis when their kidney function is approx 10 percent of the normal functioning. There are two types of dialysis-
1. Hemodialysis- Here, a machine is used to move your blood through a machine to move wastes and excess fluids out of your body. It can either be done at home or in the centre and requires a few hours of treatment per day. One of the most common complications of hemodialysis is low blood pressure during treatments which can be accompanied by lightheadedness, shortness of breath, nausea, abdominal cramps, or vomiting. People who receive this treatment in a centre are either unable to work or choose not to do so due to the time required for travel & treatment.
2. Peritoneal dialysis- This is done typically at home and involves using the belly lining to filter the blood and remove waste from the body. People who consider this treatment get more uninterrupted time for work, family, and social activities. However, as this is done at home, people must know how to set the equipment and do the procedure.
We hope the blog would have solved your dilemma to an extent and helped you select one of the treatment methods for your case. So, if this is the case and you need expert guidance from the best doctors in India, Med tour advisors can help. We’ll ensure you get the top-notch services for dialysis or the best kidney transplant treatment in India. Connect with us to schedule your appointment to get the best doctor and assistance for your treatment.